Planning the site layout is necessary for the construction projects. The construction site will be the factory for the production of the building projects. The primary reason is planning the construction site layout to produce and maximize working environment efficiency and safe construction activities.
The construction site space is a major resource which influences other resources like money, time, material, labour and equipment.
Construction managers use computer-aided programmes to plan and visualise a construction site for the better communications. However, planners still carry out site planning manually.
The following factors should be considered on site layout when planning the construction site layout.
- Space available
- Site accommodation and welfare facilities
- Temporary services such as water, drainage, power
- Access to the site, impact on traffic
- Storage of materials
- Plant: depending on the nature of the contract and the degree of mechanical plant being used provision should be considered to allow the free movement of dumper trucks, excavators, etc. as well as bases for tower cranes
- The sequence of site operations
site layout plan example
Construction Site Layout Analysis Tools
Three main construction site layout analysis tools should consider while planning sites such as the space analysis, facility allocation and path selection.
- Space Analysis– construction site space visibility, accessibility and safety.
- Facility Allocation – temporary facilities such as site offices, workshops and storage areas.
- Path Selection – a combination of distance, safety measures, destination location on the site.
The layout of the site will depend on its location. On a cramped city centre site, surrounded by busy roads and other buildings, it is often necessary to stack the site accommodation to reduce its footprint. If possible the site accommodation should be placed on areas that will eventually be landscaped and as close to the site entrance as possible. In the case of refurbishment contracts, it may be possible to use part of the existing building for accommodation.
construction site layout ppt